GTA Board of Directors
Meet GTA's Board of Directors
Shawna Gilroy was born and raised in Northern California. After moving to Vallejo in 2014, she wasted no time in becoming immersed in the community. With 19 years of advertising and marketing experience, Shawna uses her knowledge to promote and support the community of Vallejo, its businesses, and community organizations.
Vivian Wesley joined the Board in June, 2017 but her experience with our school dates back to 2004 when her twin daughters became Griffins in 6th grade. Over the years, she has been an active parent in the Parent Teacher Networks (PTN), the African American Parents Association (AAPA) and a regular participant in the Strategic Planning sessions.
Ms. Wynn Walker joined the board in 2014 and serves as the president of the AAPA at MIT Academy. She received her Bachelor’s in Computer Science with emphasis in computer programming from Sonoma State University and currently works as a Senior Lab Technician at Ausenco LLC and as an Adjunct instructor teaching CIS at Solano Community College.
Luis Rosales is an MIT Academy High School graduate and former class student representative to the Board of Directors. Currently, Luis is the only member on the Board to both have attended a GTA school, and also serve on the Board in the past. Luis formally joined the Board on May 24th, 2022; and hopes that his experience as a former student will offer the Board a new perspective.
The board meets at 6:00pm on the second Tuesday of the month virtually or in room E3 at MIT Academy. Closed sessions (limited to board members) meet immediately after the regular meeting.
The GTA Board helps decide the direction of Mare Island Technology Academy MS, MIT Academy HS, and Griffin Academy. As a board member you have the chance to effect change and help GTA move forward.
What does the board do?
- The board sets and enforces policy for Griffin Technology Academies
- The board oversees all budgetary information, and makes financial decisions
- The board hires and evaluates the superintendent
- The board approves job descriptions, salary schedules, contracts, calendars and other items as required by law.
- Board members sit on TOE hearings (Termination of Enrollment) to decide consequences for students who have demonstrated inappropriate behavior, or have engaged in egregious rules violations
Yes, the more time spent on the board means more involvement in activities.
- Attend regular monthly board meetings, including closed session
- Provide points of view and information from personal experience
- Attend special board meetings (numbers vary)
past student reps
- 2020-21 Shelbri Gates (MITA)
- 2019-20 Britany Navarro (MITA)
- 2018-19 Myco Torres (MITA)
- 2018-19 Luis Segura (MITA)
- 2017-18 Dominique Monta (MITA)
- 2016-17 Teresita Gaitan (MITA)
- 2015-16 Adriana Wynn (MITA)
- 2014-15 Reniel Del Rosario (MITA)
- 2013-14 Gerica Butler (MITA)
- 2012-13 Luis Rosales (MITA)
- 2011-12 Darnesha Hopkins (MITA)
- 2010-11 Chris Arriola (MITA)