5 great things about GTA schools!
1. High Standards!
- MIT Academy grads complete UC “A – G” requirements, nine college credits, 140 hours of community service, and a community-based 35-hour senior internship. Plus, the entire senior class –120 students – goes to Washington, DC, at no cost to students or parents!
- Extended school day, large no-cost before & after school program (we’re open from 6:30 AM- 6 PM and serve six meals per day), and annual parent volunteer program (“The Griffin Promise”).
- For the past four years, named “One of America’s Best High Schools” by US News & World Report. Also, winner of 6 California gold medals for academic performance, Title 1 performance, and CTE education, and a middle-school national “Schools to Watch” award.
2. Great kids, Great Parents, and Great Staff!
- The Griffin Promise – students will try their hardest, the school will deliver, and parents will be an integral part of the life of the school.
- Safe schools, a low suspension rate, and a strict dress code.
- Strong academic environment with college-preparation emphasis – over 90% of graduates accepted directly into 4-year colleges and universities!
- 60+ highly qualified, credentialed teachers (many with advanced degrees).
- Small and diverse student population with 925 middle and high school students at MIT/Mare Island and 140 at Griffin Academy.
- 99% student re-enrollment rate from one year to the next.
3. Technology-Infused Program!
- All classrooms (even Physical Education) have 30 computing stations, electronic Smart Boards, LCD projectors, document cameras, and complete teacher workstations.
- Students complete at least five years of technology instruction, with numerous options for college and AP classes. Middle school students learn to type 65 wpm, program in 3 languages, and earn Microsoft certifications in Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. High school students can choose from one of 4 technology certifications in programming, digital art, robotics, or video game design.
- Innovative curriculum emphasizes field trips, “hands-on” experiences, and a strong music and digital art program.
4. Strong, Flexible Program!
- Independent public charter schools – no tuition or charge to parents!
- High school is fully WASC accredited and has full charter authorization.
- Three- and five-year graduation options, with a chance to earn up to 25 college credits before graduating high school!
5. GTA's Vallejo History and Commitment
- More than 20 years of operation (since 1999).
- MIT is among the highest-performing secondary schools (as measured by CAASPP/Smarter Balanced testing) in Napa and Solano Counties.
- Commitment to Vallejo – each year, our students invest thousands of hours in community service and internships in Vallejo.
- And we’re breaking ground on a $50 million construction project!